Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Blog for week of Feb 14 through Feb 20

The presentations were great! I enjoyed hearing everyone's group projects. There was alot of time and effort collectively invested in tonight's assignment. Presentations were informative, well put together and interesting! Great job, everyone!

Our classroom discussion was interesting. I know that I have made my oldest son literally rewrite an assignment or two because of his handwriting. I know that he can write neater if he slows down, takes his time and puts a little bit of effort into it. I want to instill in him the importance and neccessity of taking pride in his work.

Correct spelling, however, is not a sign of intelligence. Many brilliant minded individuals are not "good" spellers. In my own opinion, however, I believe that overall penmanship, punctuation, and writing skills have deteriorated over that past few years due to the increase of using keyboards instead of pencil and paper. Students abbreviate and tend to write ssignments as though they are IMing their friends. As with everything now, we are fast paced and on to the next best thing. Technology has certainly changed the way we do things.

4 comments:

paige said...

I think that you made a good point about people that have poor spelling skills are not necessarily smart. I think that everyone probably has something that they are lacking in and it makes them feel insecure, but that does not mean they are not smart. I have bad hand writing and it makes me feel self-conscious when I am writing on the board in front of people. I have very good spelling, but my penmanship is bad. It is an important skill to have, but if you know what you are doing I think that is also important.

jeny keller said...

I totally agree about spelling. I know that it is important to have neat handwriting and correct spelling, but it is only one aspect of learning. The more important thing is what the child knows,thinks, and how they express it.

C Rhea said...

I agree as well... Spelling certainly is not a direct corollary to intelligence. Also, as I have grown away from doing assignments on paper, aside from writing numbers for math assignments, my penmanship has begun to fail. I consider myself apart of the start of a new generation of terrible handwriters. I still believe the burden for handwriting does fall on elementary teachers, and they should continue their usual emphasis. However, when it comes to my use of handwriting in the present, it is very limited. (Until I become a teacher!!)

tbritt said...

I don't believe that a person's penmanship detemines their intellegence level. I do, however, think that the fact that some teacher's just give up on students. Sometimes the term "practice makes perfect." Sometimes a student just needs to work on small things such as handwriting. Giving up isn't always the solution and can sometimes be considered the easy way out.